"The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman." ~ Elisabeth Elliot

Lead Me To The Cross

Lead Me To The Cross

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

-sigh-

It's November 2nd.

Well, technically, November 3rd at 12:19AM, but still.

And on October 31st, instead of partying, my family is typically packing up our big conversion van to make the 10 hour drive due east to Destin, Florida -- home of my heart. Typically, on November 1st, my family is awakening at 4AM to get a bright and early start on that wonderful drive. And typically, on November 2nd, my sister celebrates her birthday by picking out a cake at Wal-Mart and eating it with the family on the condo balcony, listening to the waves and watching the sun slowly sink below the horizon.

So I guess you could say that this November is anything but typical.

Because on October 31st, my family atypically attended a Reformation Day party.
My family atypically celebrated my sister's birthday surrounding our kitchen table.
My family atypically left our conversion van in the garage...empty. We atypically slept in on November 1st. I atypically went to youth group on November 2nd.

I'm usually at peace this time of year. Peace, meaning relaxed. Nothing does it like the taste of salt water, the smell of that salty breeze, the feel of the sand between my toes, and the feeling you get when you're wondering if what you just did was create a successful tan or excruciating sunburn.

But instead of peace, I'm sitting in my room, in my home miles away from any form of wave-making water. And, I'm depressed about it. I just love the beach. It's my true home, it's where I feel most relaxed and accepted. My only worry is if that tide is going to get me wet. And it's not even a worry, it's just a lightweighted thought. Oh, haha, ooops... It got me wet. :)

But who cares? Go up and get changed, then come back down here and get sand in all cracks and crevaces, and get buried alive, and get God's pedicure while you're at it. After all, it is the beach, right?

I'm convinced God smiled on some places more than others. Because the beach is vibrant, absolutely glowing, with joy. Just like me when I'm on it.

I just want an ice cold virgin margarita, a reclining beach chair, and a beach. Maybe some music, but not loud enough to distract me from the sound of the crashing...crashing...crash...crash...crashhh...

find your inner beach, and chill for a while.

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your opinion. I welcome respectful debate, constructive criticism, and compliments!